Deerfield Falcon Five is a school-wide commitment to positive behavior support. Identifying, teaching, and reinforcing the expected behaviors allow students to achieve academic, behavioral, and social success. Deerfield Falcon 5 stems from the University of Oregon’s Center of Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (P.B.I.S.) program. Our first step was outlining our school-wide expected behaviors. We chose our Falcon 5 traits which are Kind, Safe, Focused, Responsible, Respectful.
Falcon 5 Cards
Students receive Falcon 5 Cards as positive reinforcement for displaying the schoolwide and classroom specific expected behaviors. By turning in these cards, students become eligible to win fun prizes and earn rewards! Students can earn these cards from administrators, teachers, guest teachers/substitutes, support staff, and noon duty supervisors.
Utilizing the “Systematic Change Model”, attention is focused on creating and sustaining primary (school-wide), secondary (classroom), and tertiary (individual) systems of support that improve lifestyle results for all children. This makes problem behavior less effective and desired behavior more functional. It is research-based, and it works!
- Clearly defined school-wide expected behaviors
- Expected behaviors are intentionally taught in all school settings
- Purposeful reinforcement for demonstrating positive school-wide expected behaviors
- Consistent consequences and opportunities for re-teaching positive expected behaviors
- Use of data to make decisions about school-wide practices
- Comprehensive staff and student involvement
- Improve the academic culture through increased instructional time
- Improve the behavioral culture through a decrease in office discipline referrals
- Improve school safety and positive peer interactions